Skip to main content
01 Oct 20201 minute read

Join the private rented sector register

Join the private rented sector register

Earlier this year, new legislative requirements were introduced for properties in the private rented housing market in England. Landlords will now have to arrange for regular electrical safety checks to be carried out at least every five years as follows:

  • From 1st July 2020 all new tenancies will require an electrical safety check to be in place.
  • From 1st April 2021 all existing tenancies will require an electrical safety check to be in place

All those holding appropriate qualifications may carry out this work. However, to encourage private social landlords to use competent contractors to carry out work in properties they rent, a voluntary register has been created: the PRS (private rented sector) register.

If you wish to join this register, electrical businesses must hold current assessments for Part P of the Building Regulations (such as ELECSA or NICEIC Domestic Installer) and have an additional assessment or hold a full scope technical assessment such as ECA Membership Certification Scheme or NICEIC Approved Contractor. 

Businesses will also need to meet some additional requirements, including holding at least £250,000 Professional Indemnity Insurance covering EICR work. 

To join the register, visit and complete the relevant form. Businesses will then be added to the register, which can be viewed at:

To read more about this register, please see here, or you can watch a webinar here.