Further Government announcements on furlough
The Government has issued updated information on the operation of furlough under the Job Retention Scheme late on Thursday 9 April 2020.
ECA has incorporated this into a new Furlough guidance note, available on our dedicated Coronavirus webpage. The main clarifications and/or changes announced on 9 April include:
- Employers have the option to furlough workers who are shielding or need to stay home with someone who is shielding;
- Employers should not furlough workers simply because they are on short-term sickness absence, but may put such workers on furlough if there are other business reasons for doing so;
- It is open to an employer to transfer workers on long-term sickness absence onto furlough;
- Furloughed workers who fall sick whilst on furlough may remain on furlough and continue to receive their ‘furlough pay’, rather than SSP;
- Employees transferred after 28 February to a new employer under a TUPE transfer may be furloughed by their new employer;
Furloughed workers may not perform work for any organisation ‘associated’ with or ‘linked’ to their employer.